Black Friday is coming.
So is White Thursday.
And Grey Wednesday?
Sale over here, sale over there, here’s a sale there’s a sale, everywhere a sale! Hooray! Our hearts arise with elatedness! Our wallets tremble with trepidation….
The anticipation of a sale is something we all get excited about. Your favourite store posted an Instagram announcing the “Up to ___%” off with brilliant, engaging colours, and your scrolling was instantly interrupted.
So how do you tackle this sale to get the best bang for your buck?
Sales are more dangerous for your wallet online. The barrier of scrutiny is eliminated and your imagination is more likely to run wild with potential. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought something online just because it was on sale.
“Things you wouldn’t look at twice, and then they go on sale, and suddenly you love it and have to get it!”
There are so many pieces that you’d been putting aside and marking to save in your Wishlist. That Wishlist is your key to success. Below are some tips we have to get the most out of the upcoming sale season!
- Review your Wishlist and see if any items you’ve been coveting are in the sale
- Google the item’s name and cross reference options between ShopBop, Revolve, Nordstrom, etc.
- Walk away. Seriously. Walk away for a thirty minutes or an hour and think about what you’re about to do and if it works for your wardrobe.
- Think about timelessness – Often sales occur as we’re ready to transition to a new season. When shopping, see if:
- This piece is transitional. Can you wear if for the next 3 months?
- Is it timeless / lovable enough to wait until the next appropriate season?
The glitter and glamour is emphasized in-store. Perhaps by the throngs of people, or giant red signs, but either way, the pressure to buy is strong in the atmosphere of in-store.
When it’s time to get down to it and get your shop on, we have some things to remember!
- Check for imperfections. If you’re looking for jewelry, make sure the plating is still good. If it’s clothing, check for holes, etcetera.
- Cross reference with your online Wishlist.
- Make sure you’re getting the best one! Everyone’s going to be clambering for all on sale, always make sure you’ve got the best piece. Sale doesn’t mean compromise.
- Walk around – Just like online, cross reference other stores. Also, cross reference what’s available online.
If you found the above tips useful, let us know! Or if you have some of your own, we’d love to hear.